Monday

Gesture Drawings

























When I was in art school we spent a lot of time doing "gesture drawings." When you do gesture drawings, you give yourself a specific amount of time, usually anywhere from 60 seconds to a few minutes, and draw what you can in that time frame. The neat thing about them is that due to the short amount of time you are allowed, you can't over analyze what you are creating, as a result these sorts of drawings always end up feeing really fresh. I haven't done any gesture drawings for a long time and thought I'd like to try one the other day. The drawing above is what I came up with. I love it. I think it turned out really pretty, feels very 60's retro. I like how the lines look so fresh and inky, like large magic marker lines. I did have to mess with the background, add some motion lines, etc. to the drawing, adding extra elements is just too much fun.

No comments: