Monday

Drawing Morinda



















I was commissioned to draw a beautiful girl named Morinda. I wanted the drawing to be very soft yet have a lot of interesting elements running through the drawing to keep things interesting. So, I first drew Morinda with lots of soft colors -- pinks and quiet browns, and then added lots of soft splotches and a bit of a checkerboard pattern to the background. Also, for something different, I took pictures of this portrait at various stages as I worked through it and made the animation below. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

4 comments:

C. Stover said...

Oooh, that was fun to see how it progressed! I like that you can still tell, subtly, that she has freckles. (Freckle fan =)

catie said...

at first i thought this was a photoshopped photograph! i love how you let us all in on your little secret oh how you went about the process. the great attention to detail is lovely. and the checkerboard pattering behind adds just the right amount of detail to hold your eye and move it around the piece.

Kara Boulden said...

Hey Catie, thanks!!

I'm glad you liked seeing my little animation! I feared that after spending hours on these portraits people would never know how I actually made them.

Yes, I love little extra textures, splotches, etc to add a bit of interest to "dead" spaces. I've got a little folder on my computer of doodads, splatters, patterns I've created, etc to add to things. Glad you like! :)

Kara Boulden said...

Hey anonymous, well, here's the problem: if you are actually using my artwork as school projects, you may in fact get a good grade but when you try to work in the graphic design/illustration field you will not know how to proceed. You will not know how the computer programs work. Doh! So, try this, (and maybe this is what you meant and already do and if that is the case, cool and thanks!) use my work as inspiration, a jumping off point to study and then create your own projects. You'll get a lot more out of that I promise.