Friday

The Sun, "Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost


This morning as I pulled into a parking space at work I became keenly aware of the sun all around. It felt wonderful on my face and made the world look sparkly and bright. Deciding that some things can wait, I sat still and enjoyed the affect the sun was having on the world around me. It's been dark and snowy at times this week and because of that, the sun seemed especially marvelous to my eyes and mind. I thought to myself how I'd love to draw the sun, but how do you paint the sun? Mulling this over brought me to the conclusion that this would not really be difficult at all, all that would be required would be lots of sun colors swirling together. Colors so bright you can feel them on your eyelids when you close your eyes. Thinking about the sun brought to mind the poem "Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost. It's always been one of my favorites by Frost.

Some say the world will end in fire;
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I know which I'd choose, how about you?

This one is for my friend the sun.

NOTE: A good friend left the most wonderful story about a sun here in the comments, if you have a minute I'd highly recommend reading it! Thanks to her for that!

2 comments:

C. Stover said...

Nice job - it definitely has a firey feel! I like the story about the wind and the sun trying to get a coat off of a man- in the end the sun wins by simply beaming down on him. The sun must have looked like yours...=)

Kara Boulden said...

I honestly can't imagine a better story to accompany my sun picture. I adored that story, how wonderful! That smart sun, that's so cool! Thanks for that! I also think it's so cool that my sun feels firey to you! That rocks!