Thursday

Abstract 1


My mother adores watercolor paintings and has been on a twenty year quest to learn how to create them. She is the definition of persistence. Recently she has been taking a watercolor class at a local university. Her latest assignment is to take a photograph, snip out a small section and create a series of small watercolor paintings based on this section. Next, they are to take their favorite out of this set of paintings, blow it up and repaint it. I think this sounds like a really fun and promising assignment, one that I thought I'd try myself. Ok, let's be honest. I'm going to try this assignment with a few twists. First, I will not use watercolor. I will use Photoshop. (I still believe that one day Photoshop will be accepted as a serious medium by fine artists. If not, I think it would be a loss to the art world. I love painting in Photoshop and I think the results can be really wonderful.) Next twist in this assignment- instead of taking one inch sections out of a photograph I will use one of my own paintings. This morning I took 8 one inch sections out of a painting I did of a cow awhile ago, and blew the sections up to fit on an 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper. I then re-drew the first section. It was really fun. The cool thing is that the next 7 times I want to draw, I don't have to search for a subject, I'm all ready to go.

No comments: